Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Caught in the Fog

Political convictions usually run deep. In fact, I remember a US study a few years ago that claimed to have found the “Republican gene” - something like the one distinguishing genetic code that at some point in the life of a particular person will switch on an array of convoluted thought - I like to call it “the fog” - which includes denying women access to abortion while handing out guns to young angry men. Whether this kind of thinking is indeed genetic or not, however, matters less than the fact that in a country where people habitually confuse Fox News with news reporting and where outrageous opinions are sold as facts, this sort of convoluted thinking is wrapped in pro-life propaganda with broad mass appeal. It makes US politics that much more trite and boring and I have to admit that I am glad to be mailing in my absentee vote again this time.

No comments: