Thursday, February 7, 2008

Brand New Everything


We have now moved on to the U.K. where we hope to find a new life. And as far as I can tell we got what we wished for because everything is new.

Apart from the obvious novelty of driving on the wrong side (and, sorry, dear Brits, it is rather wrong of you to insist on twisting our poor continental minds in this brutal manner), with the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car (ditto), we as a family also decided to switch from automatic to manual and from gasoline to diesel.

That means that driving has become a thing best to be avoided. Not bad really considering my endless diatribes on cars, driving, and the car culture. The problem, however, is that everyone else is still driving. The only one stuck in her over-prized townhouse is me.

The last time I ventured out to hunt down some dearly needed sushi, I came home with a giant headache and decided that it wasn’t really that dearly needed after all.

Nothing really is, and so I now stay put most of the time. My children keep eying the gapingly empty shelves of our fridge, which actually fill me with quiet satisfaction, while my head remains fresh and clear ready for the other tasks that await me.

There is, for instance, our new vacuum cleaner, a masterpiece of German engineering. It has, however, refused to vacuum the green carpet as well as it cleans all the others. Since most of the floors in our house are covered in that same green carpet I have been kept fairly occupied trouble shooting.

Apart from that, all our electrical appliances are beeping and sending error messages and the internet only works because we are bumming off of one of our generous neighbors.

No need, therefore, to hop into the car and marvel at all that’s wrong out there. There is enough to pull my hair out over in here.

Excellent!

No comments: