Friday, July 20, 2007

Connected


Have you checked your drawers lately? I used to have broken pens and dull scissors in mine. But lately I have worthless items of an entire new category – and value – piling up in there: several headsets, splitters, 32MB memory cards, 8mm film, two non-digital cameras, and…let’s see…a clunky portable DVD player. What to do with all that stuff? Toss it?

I used to feel bad about tossing out yet another highlighter gone raspy. But tossing a camera? The good news in my case is that I live in a country where people still know how to fix broken things. There is a whole underground economy of used electronical items that trade hands for moderate prices and help pay the rent for those who fix them.

That’s not the case in the so-called First World. There, products are bought, used, and trashed as soon as a newer model hits the market. And, of course, there always will be a newer model. Now it’s the iPhone, next might be the iFriend, followed by the iFriend Pro. Am I being just a tiny bit cynical? Let’s just face it: There is no way of staying out of the consumerism race. And believe me, I tried.

Years ago, I proudly refused to clutter my existence with an answering machine, and that sure didn’t earn me any brownie points. Then, I said ‘no’ to digital gadgetry. Well, that stance didn’t last long either.

So now I am Ms. iPod (I actually own two), with all the little itsy bitsy ever-notted cables that go along with them. I also own several digital voice recorders, a digital camera, and camcorder – and, of course, with all that an abundance of cables and chargers.

But that’s just for now. I am sure there will be more stuff out on the market soon to satiate my craving to stay connected – plugged into the lives of friends, family, and Oprah, my past, and the pulse of the things to come. Because that’s what it’s all about, isn’t it? Staying connected.

No comments: