Saturday, June 14, 2014

Pools



I spent the afternoon with Jules at the village pool, a large basin of spring fed water surrounded by ancient walls and green.  I love that place not just because it is so darn cute with its white and blue wooden changing rooms and its delicious array of baked goods on sale.  I love it, because it is a place of giggles and laughter.  


I usually am wary of crowds, but there I watch them.  That bubbly conviviality is a fun thing to take in.  I never get bored, never feel tempted to pick up my book.  The splashes, the toes turned skywards.  The furtive smiles of fourteen year olds by the edge of the water, the galloping stampedes of children in ecstatic anticipation of the prickly cold on their skins.  Bodies of all shapes and ages.  Lives of all kind brought together in the baking heat of a blissful afternoon.

No comments: