Thursday, July 11, 2013

Chimp

We all are trying to move along in a semi-coordinated three-beat, trying to avoid the obvious stumbles while keeping our elbows pointing outwards and our smiles frozen for best appearance. I have come to see myself as nothing more than a prototype of a human primate. I fulfill my role as a mother, friend and mate. I deploy a gamut of strategies to secure group acceptance and I avoid conflicts by backing down whenever the risk of losing are too high, which is usually when there is an aggressive male around. My handicap is that I am acutely aware of the plan Bs, the compromises and the second best options I am constantly willing to accept. My staggeringly keen awareness of the dirty underbelly of this human existence render contentment almost impossible. My coping skills are humor and playful frankness, but usually all I have to offer is honest despair. My moments of happiness are with the kids, which again, is a predictable outcome as a female human who had to accept her lot.

No comments: