Sunday, November 15, 2009

Kafkaesque - or one of the many reasons why Citibank sucks!

THIS IS CITIBANK CARD SERVICE - PLEASE ENTER YOUR 16 DIGIT CREDIT CARD NUMBER !

PLEASE HOLD...

“This is Citibank Card Services, Underpaid Bangladeshi # 873. Can you please tell me your 16-digit card number?”

“I just entered it”

“I don’t have it, Ma’m”

“Why do I have to type it then when I call this number?”

“You have to identify yourself”

“I just did.”

“No you haven’t.”

“Hm. I think what you mean is that you want me to identify myself AGAIN.”

“How can I help you?”

“I would like to use my card to pay for my groceries online as I do every week and a CITIbank SecureCode screen popped up where I was asked to enter my name, security code and experation date. When I did as I was told a text in red letters informed me that the information wasn’t correct and it asked me to re-enter it. So I re-entered the card details and when that didn’t work I called this number.”

“Your card has been blocked because you entered the information twice.”

“I was asked to do that.”

“If you enter your information too many times your card is automatically blocked.”

“I entered it twice because I was asked to.”

“You have to register your card to receive a temporary code on a webpage that I will give you and then you will have to change the password and re-register your card.”

“Can you guide me through the process step-by-step because it sounds a bit complicated?”

“Go to securecode.com and enter your temporary number.”

“I don’t have that number.”

“Please hold.”

And I did until I was disconnected.

While I am writing this I am on my third attempt to do as I am told. Kafka would have a field day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!