Thursday, October 11, 2007

Driving the Kids

I no longer do that. And I sure hope I’ll never have to it again. What a waste of time.

However, if we choose to live in remote locations, far enough out so that we can afford to secure an acre of land, maybe we owe it to our kids: Driving them to where they really want to be.

But then, maybe we owe it to our kids not to chew up the countryside and instead live in cluster developments, also known as towns, that leave the surrounding fields and woods intact and not pocked with mailboxes and scared by dirt roads in every direction.

Come to think about it, towns are a really great idea, and so far they have done a fine job for humanity. What makes them so enjoyable in part is that everything in them is within walking distance, whether you have to mail a letter, need a quick make-over, or want to sink some money into ice cream

If I wanted to I could get a reasonably sophisticated henna tattoo, check out the latest Carl Hiaasen, and slurp a second-to-none mountain moose blizzard all within less then an hour.

And if I decided to make my way over to the railway station, I could still be on my way to the rest of the world that same afternoon...for a wider selection of ice cream.

But not only are towns a lot of fun they are also a lot healthier, at least for me, my children, their friends, the trees, and everyone who breathes.

Plus, with all that time one saves on NOT driving the kids around one can…let’s see…for instance give that blog a spiffy make-over, if nothing else comes to mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahh the bliss of having kids who are satisfied by towns. Pretty soon they'll all be asking for a ride to the CITY! We miss you guys,
Alison