Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Life with a Smile


There is something to be said about taking things down a couple of notches, unwinding the coil a bit, and stepping back. I am trying to get to that point and although
still a few light years away from the perfect ‘omm’-state, I can report that life is beginning to look up.

J. is doing well with her last attempt at chemo and for the time being, nobody is mentioning books entitled “My Life without ME.” More and more, I have started to listen and relax. The initial outbreak of frantic problem-solving activism has given way to a more restful mind set. Life is never in our hands, not completely anyway. And although I have no flying idea in whose hands it is ultimately cradled, I am fine with the certainty that neither I nor anyone else have the ultimate say in matters of life, luck, happiness, and health. All we can do, whether as parents, doctors, policy makers, big time money makers and fellow human beings is to give it a good try.

It takes a long time to become a MENSCH. But everyday, we should try anew. It’s worthwhile. An aware and at the same time humble human - no more and no less.

No comments: