Thursday, April 2, 2009

Calling Praveen



I spent another forgettable afternoon (1 hour and 41 minutes of it, that is) on the phone with Praveen. I wonder how Apple gets around child labor restrictions, because surely Praveen, who answered my exasperated call, was only in his teens and very bubbly. Or maybe it was that he SOUNDED so young.

After years of ranting and raving against computers (and especially Apple) and then buckling down and buying yet another one, I have resigned myself to rainy afternoons of conversing over “Finder Windows,” the “Dock,” and the many, many “Applications” this magnificent specimen has to offer. Ah yes. There is so much to learn.

As I was trying to sound like I had brushed up on my Apple lingo since my last call and doing my best at pointing out where I had gotten stuck this time, I realized that what was puzzling me more than the problem I was calling about, was the obvious generation gap.

While dear Praveen was putzing about, troubleshooting, opening this and that, pulling down menus here and there and softly talking me through the many possible ways of getting around the problem I was dealing with, it suddenly dawned on me, that sooner or later, I would not have to worry about all this anymore. And that in due time HE will be the one calling in and pretending that he knows what he is talking about.

It’s only a matter of time.

No comments: