Friday, March 21, 2008

Bless Him

Fred is in town and I am wondering whether three weeks will suffice to get him to listen to at least one episode of Bill Moyers’ Journal. He loathes the program but more than that he fears it. To him it is an ever threatening anathema to his Weltanschauung and so is the green movement, and -- for that matter -- any movement at all.

To Fred, the world is at its best. Human beings are the crest of evolution and in light of a dooming ice age, global warming is a good thing. I am not kidding you. Fred, biology professor and renaissance man, believes in fairy tales and lies to soothe his troubled soul.

Why, I wonder, do continue to be amazed and puzzled at the state of this world.

For the next days, however, I will be out of town to find bliss on other shores. I am leaving the kids with Fred and Yia Yia and, hopefully, Zoe will have set grandpa straight by the time I get back. I am quite confident.