Friday, October 19, 2012

Let me Bore you!

The trickiest thing in writing is to develop the plot without anyone guessing what’s up next while at the same time keeping the audience engaged and willing to believe that the turn of events is likely or at least possible. I never liked the “suspense of believe” element in stories whether in writing or on screen. At the end of every movie I habitually scroll back in my mind to the opening scenes to see whether the characters’ initial actions are believable with what we know about them and their circumstances in hindsight. Only few films pass the test and I wonder how the writers get away with it. But then, we all like to just let ourselves move along with a story, we want to trust the writers’ genius to entertain us and take us into a parallel reality. Yet, I can’t help wondering whether it is it me getting older or whether movie plots really are getting dumber?

No comments: