Friday, January 6, 2012

Oh what fun...!



Zoë and I just spent another afternoon with dear old Salman Khan. His youtube videos just crack us up.

This time, we had him explain the periodic table to us after we were left speechless last night musing about covalent and ionic bonds.

We couldn’t help grinning about the cool ‘guy’ lingo in explaining the odd on-goings in the outer shell of transitional metals...Notice....? It’s catching on!!

Cheating my way through chemistry exams in school, I always had the nagging thought that I might be missing out on something really interesting. But why weren’t my teachers like Sal? Instead, I was diligently copying chemical formulas off my palm, marveling at the secret code.

I had chemistry off and on for three years and later on it reappeared as organic chemistry in my biology classes. It would have helped immensely if I had watched that six minute video on the periodic table in year 7. Only neither youtube nor Salman had been conceived of then.

But, hey, this is a new generation!

Have fun!

No comments: