Thursday, November 13, 2008

Touchy-Feely


Part of me tends to stay on the outside. I look at people and I look at myself and more often than not, I am surprised at what I see.

If one manages to stick to simple observation the greatest insights will come from one’s own reactions.

It is amazing what we are capable of feeling and thinking in just a fraction of a second. But yet it usually goes unnoticed. There are fleeting feelings of intense pleasure as much as sudden pangs of frustration.

As an adult we have generally been either trained or have otherwise learned to adapt to the middle way. The state where feelings are supposed to be docile like a purring cat on a downy pillow.

And yet, all those feelings, and thoughts are there. And they are usually anything but cute and fluffy.

All of them are real. Not acknowledging them can be a lost opportunity and a big waste of time in the long run.

With feelings it is a little bit like with children: Not acknowledging them just makes matters worse.

No comments: