Tuesday, December 4, 2007

School Night Special

It’s late. I am still up because I am trying to turn this day around, I am still trying to give it that little positive spin. It looks like I am running out of time though.

It wasn’t even that bad a day but it also wasn’t really good. I had to work hard to keep my thoughts from turning into molasses and clogging up my entire system.

As I am thinking about it, I am done living life on hold. I am done checking in and out of different settings, like changing in and out of costumes. I am tired of living life on top of suitcases. I want to settle down. And I am ready to deal with the consequences. And, in the end, that’s what it’s all about, isn’t it?

It’s all about accepting the good with the bad and being ok with it. I suppose, up to now, I still thought that I could do better. And we did better for a while. Costa Rica was pretty cool and for a family of five a lot better than life was in downtown DC.

But neither Matt nor I felt ready to deal with the consequences of an ex-pat existence any longer. So now we are back in the first world: We are back to where life is fast and dinners are short. We are part of the regular crowd again. We are, once again, middle class Europeans.

It’s not easy but it’s going to be good.

There is one thing, however, that has to change fast lest I lose my mind: That’s school. Since Zoe has started, it’s dominating our entire family 7am to 8pm: if it’s not something that’s missing, or some heap of homework that needs to be done, it’s who said what or did what to whom.

With homework here taking the form of endless not-so-funny spelling riddles and math problems ad nauseum there isn’t really time anymore for Harry Potter (sorry pal). Also, Fiamma, Zoe’s violin, has acquired patina along with several cardboard boxes that I can’t help but keep just in case there is a fifteen minute break in her hurried schedule to erect one of her awesome fortresses with ramparts, gatehouse, turrets and all.

We all agree homeschooling is a lot more sane and fun and as soon as we can we’ll go back to it. The countdown is running…

No comments: