Thursday, August 16, 2007

Bird Cage


Something is off in the Switzerland of Central America and it’s not for the lack of breath-taking scenery or affluent retirees. It’s the bird cage mentality: Life lived behind bars, some more golden than others.

On my stroll back from the mechanic this morning, I crossed our town dodging delivery trucks and male solicitations and I took a close look at these cages.

Most of them ‘contain’ women it seems, mostly older or with young children, busying themselves with their daily chores. An elderly lady was arranging her patio furniture, another one was dousing off the dust from passing by traffic, children were playing ball. A seemingly normal morning scene, yet, in a rather bizarre setting.

When did this all start? When did fear become so overwhelming that life behind bars seemed preferable to a life shared with passers-by, neighbors, the town, and an uncluttered view thereof?

Maybe I will ask my mechanic. He seems to be an insightful guy.

I’ll keep you posted.

No comments: